MALDON Golf Club – A Notable Course in A “Notable Town”
Maldon Golf Club, 130 km north west of Melbourne in the Goldfields region of country Victoria. The course is positioned on the outskirts of the small township of Maldon and surrounded by the hilly countryside of Mt Tarrangower. The club is over 110 years old.
A product of the early goldfields era, the township of Maldon has a unique Australian architecture and was classified by The National Trust in 1965 as being Australia’s first “notable town” and to be preserved in its entirety.
Like so many small country golf clubs, Maldon has struggled from humble beginnings but the club’s survival and steady growth has been ensured by the hard work and enthusiasm over the years and a remarkable and inherent comradeship from its members.
Originally called the Tarrangower Golf Club, the club was formed in 1908 at a meeting held at the Royal Hotel. Golf was first played on a private property site where 6 holes measuring 1730 yards was constructed from virgin bushland. In 1913, the club relocated to its present site having been given permission to use property owned by two local businesses and with additional land being leased to enable the construction of nine golf holes measuring a distance of 2577 yards.
The decade of the 30’s saw change and development. Previous leased and occupied land was purchased and an additional three holes were added. At first the clubhouse was a small galvanised iron building with very rugged conditions, but in 1938 the local tennis club donated its pavilion to the club to enable additions and alterations to the old tin shed. Also in this year, the use of adjoining land enabled the club to plan an extension to 18 holes although, with the disruption over the war years, most of the work was not completed till the 1950’s. In 1959 this adjoining land was purchased and the club was now the legal owner of the full 18 hole course.
In 1969, a new modern clubhouse facility was developed to further the improvement of member facilities in additional to a programme of course improvements by undertaking drainage, debris clearing, extensive tree planting and the purchase of a tractor. Further clubhouse extensions for new toilets, storeroom and office facilities were completed in 1977 with funding provided by Dept of Youth, Sport and Recreation.
Drought conditions over the past decade of the ’noughties’ has resulted in a real struggle over the summer months and a heavy reliance on good autumn and winter rains to maintain grassing on the fairways. Fortunately, some supply of water is sourced from a pipeline servicing Mt Tarrangower Prison and farms in the Nuggety area from the local gold mine treatment plant and feeds a dam constructed adjacent to the 16th tee.
Today, the course is well treed, undulating and with magnificent views of the countryside and Mt Tarrangower. The course measures 4411 metres, and is rated as Par 65. The sand scrapes are recognized as amongst the best in country areas and acknowledged when Maldon played host to the very successful 2008 Victorian Sandgreens Championship. The club is set to build on that success when we host the 2018 edition in September.
Recent improvements to the Clubhouse include Colourbond cladding, an up-graded bar area, an outdoor BBQ and shaded seating area and a refurbishment of clubhouse furniture and window blinds. Fundraising for these important initiatives is supported by a network of local business sponsors and particularly the local Maldon and District Community Bank branch of the Bendigo Bank who underwrite each year the $2000 Easter hole-in-one event. In addition, by way of a grant, they have provided golf carts for use by members and visitors. A strong emphasis is now being placed on the Golf Club’s facilities being made available as a family friendly venue to the community for their participation in social and business activities. An extensive kitchen refurbishment has been undertaken within the clubhouse enhancing the venues appeal as a venue for all occasions.
Maldon is proud of its achievements and its volunteer helpers and dedicated members over the clubs 110 year history. This small country club prides itself on the friendly social atmosphere that exists and welcomes all visitors for social or competition play and to the Annual Tournament mid-end of July each year.